Monday, April 25, 2005

This Shit Is Bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Did I Suddenly Become Catholic or Something?
Why Can’t I Shut Up about the New Pope?

This just in: New Pope Gives God the Finger.

I dunno, is his intent for us to feel sympathy for him? I’m sure being pope is a pain in the ass (especially for a guy well beyond the retirement age) but surely it’s better than lots of other jobs—and hardly akin to a beheading. C’mon, Benedict! Suck it up!

(Though I must say, he sure does have that whole “papal hand gestures” thing down already. Kudos to him!)


Something I Forgot to Mention about the Star Wars Holiday Special
in Last Friday’s Entry

In the cantina scene with the flawless Bea Arthur, there was a guy with a hole in the top of his skull, and that’s where he poured all his drinks. It was supposed to be played for laughs I guess (he was played by Harvey Korman, after all), but watching it as a 5-year-old I was traumatized in ways I don’t even want to recount here. Suffice it to say that, among other problems, I had nightmares on the theme of cranium holes for years afterwards. What a fucked-up thing to put in a show aimed at kids....


And While We’re on the Subject...

This doesn’t have anything to do with the Holiday Special specifically, but when I was younger I thought that “the Force” was Star Wars-speak for “gravity.” I think this erroneous assumption sprang from Obi-Wan Kenobi’s initial description of the Force: “It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” Needless to say, I was not into Eastern philosophy as a kid. (But apparently I knew a shitload about physics.)


For the Record, He Also Couldn’t Make Purple Tights Work

Last night I saw this “hipster” kid on campus wearing a pair of cardboard 3-D glasses. Two things went through my head. First, what a dumbass! Second, remember how Billy Zane wore 3-D glasses in Back to the Future? They didn’t look cool on him either—but that was kind of the point, which brings me back to my first thought: what a dumbass! Here’s a tip for all the self-consciously “cool” folks out there: if something makes Billy Zane look like an idiot, chances are you won’t have much more success with it yourself.


Maybe It’s Her Hair

I think I’m in love with the girl in that Volkswagen Jetta commercial. You know, the one who pisses off her grumpy downstairs neighbor by dancing around in her apartment? When I mentioned this to someone (who shall remain nameless) earlier today, he said she looks like Ashlee Simpson.

I made him take it back.


Startling Revelation or Statement of the Obvious?

I don’t particularly care for Gwen Stefani’s music, but I could watch her videos aaallllll day long. Well, except for the one where she and Eve pretend they’re pirates. That one's just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment