Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Babymetal (Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC, Nov. 4, 2014)



Shortly after I became manically obsessed with Babymetal back in early September, listening to their album for three weeks straight and watching their concert Blu-ray, Live Legend I.D.Z. Apocalypse at every opportunity, I learned that they would be performing at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on November 4. Naturally, I went online and bought a ticket immediately.

My old pal Tom, whom I haven't seen in two years (because we now live a couple hours away from each other) but who is the kind of guy to say yes to just about anything, agreed to go with me. I told him I'd meet him at the Hammerstein at 6:30, since the doors opened at 7:00. This being a Tuesday, however, and both of us having, you know, jobs, I was a bit late, arriving at the Hammerstein around 6:45, while Tom texted me to say he'd get there around 7:15. There was a line to get in, of course, so I started off in search of the end of that line. I walked to 9th Avenue, turned the corner, then turned again at 35th Street. The end of the line was just across the street from the new hotel they're putting up at 321 W. 35th Street--in other words, directly behind the Hammerstein. Part of me wished I'd just walked up 8th Ave. to 35th to begin with, but then I wouldn't have had a chance to check out the crowd. Without studying it too closely, I'd say it was about equal parts club kids in their early twenties (many of them female, and many of those females sporting Babymetal-inspired outfits), hardcore metalheads (Scott Ian beards, Misfits tattoos), and randos like me (no discernible style, just happy to be there).

Not long after I joined it, the line started to move occasionally, in fits and starts. About twenty minutes later Tom joined up with me, and we spent the next several minutes catching up while the line lurched forward with more frequency. At last, we made it inside around 7:45. Tom bought the first round of beers, which was surprisingly easy. ("Why is everyone in that line?" Tom asked, gesturing to the five people standing to our right, while the bartender on the left was helping no one--until we walked up.) Then we spent another 45 minutes hanging back, to the right of the soundboard setup, as the crowd filled in. At this point I asked Tom if he had any idea what Babymetal is. His answer, which didn't surprise me a bit (Tom being Tom), was no. "Didn't even Google them?" I asked. No, he did not.

So I gave him the barest of background info--just enough to give him context without potentially ruining what I was fully expecting to be his "Holy shit!" moment at the opening riff of the first song. So I said Babymetal is a Japanese pop/metal band, fronted by a sixteen-year-old and two fifteen-year-old girls. They sing songs about bullying and chocolate. And it is completely hardcore, in the sweetest way possible.

Around 8:30, the lights dimmed and a Star Wars-like text crawl, titled "Metal Resistance, Episode II," lit up the LED screen behind the stage. As at the start of Babymetal's "Legend" concerts, we were treated to some Babymetal mythmaking, which led directly into "Babymetal Death," at which point the crowd went nuts.

I was very happy with the order of the set list, which started strong and ended strong. My least-favorite Babymetal songs ("Rondo of Nightmare," "Catch Me If You Can," and "Akatsuki"--which, to be clear, is not to say I don't like them) were perfectly placed in the first half of the show, so that the second half was packed with their best songs and denied me the chance to experience any concert fatigue whatsoever (which, now that I'm 41, is more likely than it used to be). By the time Yuimetal and Moametal skipped onstage for their "Black Babymetal" rap, "Onedari Daisakusen," I was so deliriously happy I could barely stand it.

And the crowd, at least from where we were standing, was fantastic. The two couples directly in front of us were so excited to be there, and completely drunk--but not annoyingly so (although one of the guys was headbanging through "Head Bangya!!" with enough gusto that I was worried at one point he might clock me in the jaw). The mosh'sh pit formed about eight "rows" in front of us, which actually helped to open up our sightlines to the stage, so that was nice. The dozens of smartphones held aloft occasionally obstructed my view, but shifting a little to the right or the left usually solved that problem (and most of these amateur cinematographers didn't hold up their phones for more than a single song). All the metalheads who threaded through the crowd near me were some of the most polite people I've ever encountered in NYC, saying, "Excuse me," and being careful not to tread on any toes as they walked by. In watching some of the videos afterwards (see below), I'm retroactively happy that we didn't push closer to the stage, because apparently that's where all the tone-deaf superfans were clustered, singing along (loudly and badly) with Su-metal. I'm not ashamed to say that that would've ruined the concert for me.

The Hammerstein has a reputation for good acoustics, and I'm sure that's true, though the sheer decibel level of Babymetal's show rendered those acoustics moot at times. (More than once I experienced a literal wall of sound vibrating the air around me so intensely that I couldn't discern any notes whatsoever, but this was a rare occurrence.) Next time I'll be sure to bring my earplugs. But this is by no means a suggestion that Babymetal should've turned down the volume. I'd say the levels were mostly pretty good.

Our three kawaii metalheads were in great form all night, the call-and-response segments in a handful of songs were loads of fun, and the kami band shredded from start to finish. I particularly enjoyed their two solo sets (the first before "Rondo of Nightmare" and the second before "Catch Me If You Can"). I'd love to know which specific musicians played that night; all I'm sure of is that Boh played bass (his shaved head makes him easily recognizable). I'm 51 percent sure that Takayoshi Ohmura was one of the guitarists (he has a fairly identifiable stage presence), though with all the face paint and black hair it's hard to tell from the back of the room. The other guitarist might've been Leda or Mikio Fuzioka, but I just don't know. And I believe Hideki Aoyama was not the drummer, because he skipped the American tour to spend time with his newborn baby. If anyone finds out who the musicians were, I'd be grateful if you shared that info.1

The show wrapped up around 10:00, with the LED screen promising "Metal Resistance: Episode III" in 2015. Tom deemed it "the craziest show I've ever seen," and this is from a guy who's seen the Flaming Lips twice. So yes, he enjoyed it immensely. Another Babymetal fan is born!

Set List (with YouTube links):
  1. "Babymetal Death" / (alt. closer, incl. partial intro) / (alt. 2, incl. full intro)
  2. "Iine!" / (alt. from balcony)
  3. "Uki Uki ★ Midnight" / (alt. closeups)
  4. Kami Band Solos 1
  5. "Rondo of Nightmare" (w/intro solos)
  6. "Song 4"
  7. Kami Band Solos 2 (see below)
  8. "Catch Me If You Can" (w/intro solos) / (alt. from balcony)
  9. "Akatsuki"
  10. "Onedari Daisakusen"
  11. "Megitsune"
  12. "Doki Doki ☆ Morning"
  13. "Gimme Chocolate!!" / (alt. farther away) / (alt. 2, closer)
  14. "Head Bangya!!" (part 1) (part 2) / (alt. closeup, first half only)
  15. "Ijime, Dame, Zettai" / (alt. closeup, but with super-annoying fan noise) / (alt. 2, farther back)
Other YouTube Videos:
Balcony view, from the end of "Rondo of Nightmare" to "Gimme Chocolate!!"
Balcony view, from "Head Bangya!!" to the end of the show



Pointless Footnotes

1 According to Faygo5000, I was right about Takayoshi Ohmura (who was on the right with the pink guitar [apparently called "Pink-chan"]), Leda was playing guitar on the left, Yuya Maeta played drums, and Boh was on bass (naturally). Here's a nice video showcasing a few of these amazing musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment