Monday, October 9, 2006

Better than Pig Latin

One of the things I miss about hanging out with my brother all the time is being able to quote movies endlessly and for no reason whatsoever. For a while there, while he and I were in our early teens, we’d practically devised a new mode of communication that no one else in our family could decipher. In the course of any given day we heard the phrase “What the hell are you talking about?” more than once from bewildered family members. Ahh, good times.

Over the weekend, I was relaxing on the couch and watching Pulp Fiction on AMC. I would’ve just taken my DVD off my shelf and watched it sans commercials but it’s always fun to see what kind of voice-over insertions a “family friendly” station like AMC will add to a movie that uses the word “fuck” every six seconds. (FYI, in AMCland Vincent Vega resolves to go home after his dinner date with Mia and “cool off” instead of...well, if you love the movie as much as I do, you know what he’d really said instead.)

Anyway, as I found myself talking along with Jules and the rest of the characters I got to thinking about all the movie quotations my brother and I used to use back in the day, as well as some more recent quotations I’m fond of, and an informal list began forming in my head. But merely listing quotations on a diary page is no fun at all, and virtually guarantees no one will read them. Turn it into a game, though....

So below you will find a list of unattributed quotations (on the left) and a list of attributions (on the right). Believe it or not, my brother and I were capable of using these quotations (or at least the ones from movies pre-1995) in everyday conversation (one of my favorite quotation-related recollections is when my brother caught his foot up in a stray comforter on the floor of the living room and muttered, “Shit! Fucking limey cement.”). I’ll post the answers list in the next day or two. In the meantime you can email me or post your answers in Haloscan if you want. But it’s not necessary. After all, winners will receive absolutely nothing. Enjoy!

Last Annual Movie Quotation Matchup Game
1. Bring that shit to me, man! A. Ajax (The Warriors)
2. Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded. B. Andre (My Dinner with Andre)
3. Not bad for a human. C. Angelica (Joe versus the Volcano)
4. Learn it. Know it. Live it. D. Barry (High Fidelity)
5. Shit! Fucking limey cement. E. Batman (Batman: The Movie)
6. I have no response to that. F. General Beringer (WarGames)
7. Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb! G. Bishop (Aliens)
8. What are the odds of the Russians attacking on a Thursday night? H. Blood (A Boy and His Dog)
9. Sorry about the mess. I. Brad Hamilton (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
10. Ugh. I thought they smelled bad on the outside. J. Butch (Pulp Fiction)
11. I want more life, fucker. K. Cerrano (Major League)
12. Help! Help! I’m being repressed! L. Chet (Kicking and Screaming)
13. You fool! I could have killed you with a karate chop! M. Cooper (The Man with One Red Shoe)
14. Anybody want a peanut? N. David St. Hubbins (This Is Spinal Tap)
15. I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash you got. O. Dennis (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
16. I can't think of anything original! I'm only good in support. P. Dildano (Barbarella)
17. It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Q. Enid (Ghost World)
18. Ray, when someone asks if you're a god, you say yes! R. Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)
19. Ned, I would love to stay here and talk with you...but I'm not going to. S. Fezzik (The Princess Bride)
20. You killed the car. T. Fletch (Fletch)
21. Haven't you seen Boyz N The Hood? Now one of us is going to get shot! U. Flynn (Tron)
22. A life without cause is a life without effect. V. Fred Madison (Lost Highway)
23. Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo. W. Grady Tripp (Wonder Boys)
24. Chaos was what killed the dinosaurs, darling. X. H. I. (Raising Arizona)
25. Girls have no sense of adventure. Y. Han Solo (Star Wars)
26. Ugh, I can actually hear you getting fatter. Z. Han Solo (The Empire Strikes Back)
27. If he's so weird, why is he wearing Nikes? AA. Henry (Henry Fool)
28. I refuse to discriminate between modes of knowing. BB. Inspector Clouseau (A Shot in the Dark)
29. I'm a teacher, not a Holiday Inn. CC. J. D. (Heathers)
30. Your looks have become a problem! DD. Jeff (Almost Famous)
31. Do we look like the kind of store that sells “I Just Called to Say I Love You”? Go to the mall. EE. Jingle Dell (Wild at Heart)
32. If you're just operating by habit, then you're not really living. FF. Logan 5 (Logan’s Run)
33. If Plato is a fine red wine, then Aristotle is a dry martini. GG. Mike (Swingers)
34. No, I don't feel lucky to be alive! I feel lucky I'm not dead. There's a difference. HH. The Narrator (Fight Club)
35. On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. II. The Night Rider (Mad Max)
36. Sorry, baby, but I had to crash that Honda. JJ. Otto (A Fish Called Wanda)
37. I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle. KK. Phil Conners (Groundhog Day)
38. We all have it coming, kid. LL. Raymond Stoller (Breaking Away)
39. I’m making my lunch! MM. Richard (Tommy Boy)
40. At least she had good taste. NN. Rosencrantz (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)
41. I’m a fuel-injected suicide machine! OO. Roy Batty (Blade Runner)
42. Whatever it is, it’s warm. PP. Sparky Polastri (Bring It On)
43. I shouldn’t have written all those tank programs. QQ. Dr. Van Helsing (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)
44. We have all become God’s madmen. All of us. RR. William Munny (Unforgiven)
45. Dick Laurent is dead. SS. Winston (Ghostbusters)
46. Goddammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good! TT. Xavier (The Doom Generation)

No comments:

Post a Comment