Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Book Crazy, part 6





What seemed like a fun idea initially has now become a chore.  But there are two things fighting in this little book cataloging project’s favor:  (1) I am a stubborn individual and (2) I have OCD, so I’m going to complete it whether I like it or not.  I must admit that I want desperately to write about something else.  I have many things to discuss, in fact, but these last two bookcases are hanging around my neck like an albatross.  So I will endeavor to push through them so I can get onto the interesting stuff (like Julie’s and my trip to Des Moines, Iowa, for instance).  Anyway, here we go....



Bookcase 11

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This bookcase is another trip back in time, for the most part.  You will note that 99 percent of the books on this shelf are “mass market” rather than “trade” paperbacks.  Who even buys mass market paperbacks anymore?  Not me.  But I guess that’s because I don’t buy as much sci-fi as I used to.



Top Shelf (Front)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Hey, I wonder if this guy likes Isaac Asimov?  There doesn’t seem to be any indication here.

But honestly, Isaac Asimov almost singlehandedly shaped my concept of science fiction in book form.  I haven’t actually read Forward the Foundation (his last novel) yet, but only because a while back I started re-reading all of Asimov’s novels chronologically (according to when the books take place in the future, that is, not according to when he actually wrote them) and I’m only up to Pebble in the Sky. 

I read Gibson’s Neuromancer in college and it just didn’t grab me.  I look forward to reading it again now that I’m a little more mature (ha!) to see if I’ll like it the second time around.

I really liked Alastair Reynolds’s Revelation Space so I bought the sequels and Chasm City, which takes place in the same universe, but I haven’t gotten around to reading any of them yet.  They look nice all sitting together on the shelf, though.

I love Philip K. Dick but I own very few of his novels.  In fact, I own only two:  Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  Oddly enough, neither of these are among my favorites.  My hands-down favorite is The Transmigration of Timothy Archer but the two times I read it I borrowed a copy from a friend, and the one copy I did buy was a present for someone who hated it so much that she actually yelled at me for giving it to her.  And she didn’t even give it back.  What a bitch!

During my aforementioned/alluded to trip to Iowa last week I bought half a dozen used C.J. Cherryh novels at the best half-price bookstore I’ve ever seen, including the prequel and sequel to The Faded Sun: Shon’jir, which I’ve never read.  But yesterday I started reading The Faded Sun: Kesrith (the first in the trilogy) and I like it a lot.  I can’t believe I’ve lived this long as a sci-fi fan without reading any Cherryh.  Blasphemy!

The Long Tomorrow and Sar together inspired a science fiction novel I wrote in middle school called Global Eclipse.  It followed the exploits of an escaped slave in earth’s post-apocalyptic future who travels the world in search of the descendents of NASA’s abandoned moon outpost who settled in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  It sounds silly and it probably is (I haven’t re-read it in years).  But both of the books that inspired it hold a special place in my heart.



Top Shelf (Back)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Gee, more Asimov?  Whodathunkit? 



Second Shelf (Front)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

A lot of cherished classics on this shelf, including The Magus, Salinger’s entire (in print) oeuvre, Lord of the Flies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Chocolate War, and The Handmaid’s Tale.  In college I wrote a paper on The Chocolate War in which I claimed that the book was optimistic rather than pessimistic because although the rest of the main character’s life in high school would suck utterly, he would be able to look back on those days without any regrets because he had the strength of character to stand against the corrupting forces of his school rather than giving in.  My professor loved it so much and started talking about it in class, but because I’d written half a dozen more papers in between writing this one and getting it back that it took me several moments to remember what my thesis had been.  After a beat my professor said facetiously, “You did write this paper, didn’t you?”  From then on I made a point of remembering whatever bullshit I’d generated in all of my college papers after that.  What an embarrassing day that was.



Second Shelf (Back)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I used to devour science fiction by the yard.  Is that becoming clear?  Between the Strokes of Night was so good that it remains one of the few sci-fi books (not by Asimov) that I’ve read twice.  James P. Hogan’s “Giants” trilogy was really good, and I liked the first two “Rama” books, but I never read the last two in that series. 



Third Shelf (Front)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

More cherished classics on this shelf, including The Stranger, my dad’s 1950s copy of  Nineteen Eighty-Four, Frankenstein (a clean copy and a college-era version that’s been underlined to within an inch of its life), The Time Machine, The Three Musketeers, and The Black Tulip. 



Third Shelf (Back)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I have never read Dune, and since I’m one of the few who likes David Lynch’s screen version I probably never will.  This is my dad’s copy of the novel and he liked it enough to read all the sequels.  Lucifer’s Hammer was awesome and also, now that I think about it, probably an inspiration for Global Eclipse as well. 

I used to be really into James Bond.  Can you tell?



Fourth Shelf (Front)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Mirror of Infinity contains my favorite short story of all time, Isaac Asimov’s “Nightfall.”  It still chills me when I read it.  Vonnegut, what can I say?  I love that guy.  May he live to be a hundred years old.  The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a classic, as is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  Then we have my adolescent biographies of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, my pretend high school girlfriend Drew Barrymore, Marilyn Monroe, and—yes—Madonna (my pretend elementary school girlfriend).



Fourth Shelf (Back)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

You can probably tell why most of these books are hidden in the back.  I may be a self-professed Star Trek geek, but owning Star Trek novels is going a bit too far, don’t you think?  Ditto on the prose adaptations of all the original Star Trek episodes (though I acquired those well before the proliferation of cheap VHS tapes and channels like Spike TV and G4 TV that show reruns of Star Trek ad nauseam).  The Robot City spin-offs are equally embarrassing, but only to other true Asimov fans.

On the other hand, all the books stacked in the upper right-hand corner are true works of literature so I don’t want to hear it.  Kindly address all taunts to my middle finger.



Fifth Shelf

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Edgar Allan Poe and Gonzo dominate this shelf that is otherwise occupied by favorite old magazines and some semi-embarrassing Anime cell collections. 




Sixth Shelf

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

More magazines.  Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment