Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Book Crazy, part 1


I’m under no illusion that anyone who reads these pages will find this or the next few entries interesting in any way.  After all, despite the fact that online diaries are devised to give people a peek at your life, there is such a thing as too much detail.  However, I’ve long wanted a visual record of my book collection (because, like, what if there’s a fire or something?  How would I possibly be able to replace every book of mine without knowing exactly what I had?  Alas, these are the insane thoughts that plague me late at night) and so this diary of mine seemed like the perfect place to put it.  Prepare to snooze.




Bookcase No. 1


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Also known as “the fire bookcase,” because these are the books I would try to save first if there were a fire in my apartment.  (See?  I wasn’t kidding....)  It’s a good thing I don’t have a cat, because it would be a toss-up as to which I’d try to save first.




Top Shelf


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


You see those four books between the ones labeled “High Society” and “Flight”?  Those, and the two before them, represent some of the best comics ever written.  The books between and including “Flight” and “The Last Day,” however, represent some of the most disappointing comics ever written.  The series is called Cerebus and, as I’ve mentioned at least twice before in this diary, its creator, Dave Sim, is insane.  Moving on.

From Hell is simultaneously one of the best comic books ever written and one of the ugliest comic books ever illustrated.  The art works well with the story, but Eddie Campbell’s art is really hard to look at.  It hurts my eyes.  Good book, though. 

Akira is beautiful and, like many Japanese manga titles, entirely bizarre.  Not as bizarre as some (*cough* Legend of the Overfiend! *cough*) but bizarre nonetheless.  And it lags in the middle, but it’s cool. 

Maus and Watchmen are, in my humble opinion, the two greatest comic books ever made, period.  I’m embarrassed that Danger Girls shares a shelf with them.  Who put that book there, anyway?!? 




Second Shelf


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Palomar and Locas contain the best of Love & Rockets.  These two books and Cages are the heaviest books I own, and it’s hard to read them without putting a pillow in your lap or reading them at a table.  But it’s worth it.

The Cartoon History of the Universe is hilarious and surprisingly informative.  Also notable on this shelf are the Concrete collections, assorted books by Dan Clowes (from his comic book Eightball)—including Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron, my personal favorite—and hardcover collections of Adrian Tomine’s Optic Nerve.   




Third Shelf


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Blankets and Box Office Poison (and its quasi-sequel, Tricked) are truly sublime pieces of art.  These are books that I would be comfortable recommending to anyone, whether that person reads comics or not.  They are awesome. 

Scud: The Disposable Assassin is a hilarious, nonsensical book by Rob Schrab, better known as one of the masterminds behind Channel 101.  The story started to fall apart near the end, but it was still a very enjoyable book. 

Sleaze Castle is, despite its dubious name, a charming little British book that has unfortunately seemed to disappear off the face of the earth.  Where has it gone?  I dunno.  The publisher was called Gratuitous Bunny Comics.  That cracks me up.

Carla Speed McNeil’s Finder is cool because it takes place within a unique and fully realized distant future, and there is absolutely no exposition to explain to the reader why the world works the way it works.  As a result, it immerses you completely in an alien world.  (Of course, Carla does include liner notes at the end of the book that explains some of the finer points of the world’s inner workings, but by and large you’re on your own.)  This is a fine example of a book I wouldn’t recommend to just anyone, but fans of character-driven science fiction tend to love it. 




Fourth Shelf


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Stan Sakai, creator of Usagi Yojimbo, is the nicest guy in comics.  The nicest guy.  I dare you to name someone who is nicer.  Can’t do it, can you?  Also, his book is fun.

Chester Brown and Joe Matt, on the other hand, are the two weirdest guys in comics.  On paper, anyway.  Based on their work you’d think they’re both nuts.  But I’ve met them both once (separately) and they were extremely polite, well-spoken, and just as interesting as I’d hoped they would be.  Joe signed my copy of The Poor Bastard with a little sketch of him and his ill-fated bird from the story, then colored it with colored pencils.  That’s some serious fan appreciation!




Bottom Shelf


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Will Eisner signed my copies of Comics and Sequential Art and Graphic Storytelling a few years ago.  Meeting him was more exciting than meeting anyone else in the comic book industry.  I don’t want to overstate it, but it’s akin to meeting William Shakespeare if you have an interest in the theater.  The man is a legend for a reason. 

Schuiten and Peeters are the best European collaborators in comics, and the Morvan and Buchet team is a close runner-up.  It’s crazy just how talented some of the European comics artists are.  Frezzato knocks my socks off, too. 




Wow.  All that and I’m only through one bookcase?  This is going to take forever....

No comments:

Post a Comment